Targeting Prospects (Part 2)

In Part 1, we wrote about quality management guru, Dr. Joseph M. Juran, who referenced the 80/20 Rule (Pareto’s Principle), as a useful tool to help business owners prioritize and manage their work focus. He determined that 80% of a company’s business’ revenue comes from 20% of its top clients.

We focused on the 80/20 Rule and how it could help your business productivity:

  • Learn how to distinguish between high and low value customers.
  • Examine your “To Do” list; you may be just a few “important” issues.”
  • Risk comes in different sizes.
  • Keep tabs regularly on your 80/20 clients and replace them with customers who bring higher profits into your business.

In Part 2, we’ll consider “Practical Limits to the 80/20 Rule.”

By now, it’s apparent that the 80/20 Rule can easily be applied to both our professional and personal lives. But we need to be careful not to mismanage this tool and make serious errors.

  • Don’t just focus on the 20% at the expense of the other 80%. While you’re accountable for increased profits from your biggest clients, it’s important to “balance” your efforts with getting rid of customers who consistently bring in low profits for your company.
  • The 80/20 rule might cause you to lessen your diversification reach for investments. So, it might be a good idea to look at your overall portfolio mix and make necessary adjustments. If you keep applying the 80/20 rule, eliminating the wasteful 80%, eventually you’ll end up with nothing.
  • While 20% of planning and execution time invested in a project might generate the majority of the results, less valuable” efforts still need to be made as they contribute to the overall end result. You still need to answer emails or attend meetings – just spend less times reading emails and have shorter meetings.

So, advice from the 80/20 Rule entrepreneur, Yaro Starak? “Work hardest on elements that work hardest for you. Reward the best employees well, cull the worst. Drop the bad clients and focus on upselling and improving service to the best clients.

If you would like to know more, please contact us.

FREE ebook:
Build More Revenue with Less Follow Up Fatigue

Recent Blogs

How Can I Double My Closing Rate?

How Can I Double My Closing Rate?

Sherry Miller sells janitorial supplies to commercial, residential, and retail property managers as well as to retail clients that have the need for industrial-strength cleaning products. During the past 2 years, sales increased by more than 50% per year and her...

How Can I Follow Up With all my Contacts

How Can I Follow Up With all my Contacts

A prospect called me recently and said she was overwhelmed by her need to follow up. She had attended 3 networking events that day and met 5 new contacts. In a week, she averaged 10 new contacts. She was frustrated and scared that she would drop the ball on an...

Get Your Buyer to Buy Using Segmented Messaging

Get Your Buyer to Buy Using Segmented Messaging

How many times have you received an email, and your response is “this has nothing to do with me, so why did I receive it?”. This happens when messages are sent to everyone with no segmentation. It annoys the recipients and also is a waste of time for the sender. When...