TIPS & TRICKS
Filling in Built-in Series Items in Excel
Tired of repeatedly typing in the months of the year or a series of numbers when making lists in a spreadsheet? Follow these steps and let Excel 2003 fill them in for you!
- Select the first cell in the range that you want to fill.
- Type the starting value of the series (1, 9:00, Jan, etc.)
- Type a value in the next cell to establish a pattern (e.g. 1 then 2, 9:00 then 10:00, Jan then Feb).
- Select the cell or cells that contain the starting values.
- Point to the fill handle, which is the small black square in the lower-right hand corner of the the selection. You know you have pointed to it because your cursor changes into a black cross.
- Drag the fill handle across the range that you want to fill. To fill in increasing order, drag down or to the right; for decreasing order, drag up or to the left.
By following these steps, you will save time and be able to focus on the substance of your spreadsheet!
THE FOUR PACK HEATS UP!
Share this 4-day pass with up to 4 staff for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access classes. WIN BIG and call for details!
YOU'RE COOL WITH THE CLASSIC EIGHT!
Share up to 8 classes with up to 8 colleagues. Attend Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook End User classes and SAVE!!